C++ Book Recommendations

P4rD0nM3

Apr 12, 2007
I'm looking for good reading materials that I can past time away. Right now I'm reading C++ Programming by D.S. Malik. Anyone have some other suggestions? I'm taking Computer Science too.

BlinkY

Pork is not a Verb
Apr 12, 2007
S.wales (GB)
I'm its not quite C++, but its computers and its interesting, try The Winn L. Rosch Hardware Bible (Third Edition). =)

Deride

Jun 19, 2007
I don't like C++, but in my programming experience (C# and vB.Net), books are very intimidating... those that write them are often bland individuals who have the smarts to code, but not to teach others in a creative and productive manner. Anyone that I've met who has been a successful programmer has done so without the aid of books.

However, taking snippets from tutorials is absolutely necessary... obviously no one can guess how to program.

EriX920

Respected
Apr 12, 2007
I agree with Deride, I didn't read shit, and i'm a fairly decent (used to be) programmer. I just played around with alot of stuff (VB.NET is easy to play around because it gives you classes and shit; if you do textbox1. it will list EVERYTHING possible for that control. Like textbox1.Text).

VB.net is so much easier than c++ (IMO).
Code:
Private Sub Start() If runCmd.Checked Then Dim Proc As String = "C:\WINDOWS\cmd.exe" Shell(Proc) Else Exit Sub End If
End Sub
Tell me that isen't easy to understand.. Someone write a C++ equivalent.

Deride

Jun 19, 2007
C++ seems like it's only useful for games and other complex applications.
No point in using C++ to code anything that you would find on these boards.

Take a look at Hello World for C++

Fuck that.