How to Make Steam games Standalone(Episode 2 & portal especially)

JackalDeMon

Steam...How to make Source files (Including Orange Box) Stand Alone.

First of all:
Step 1.a. Install your Steam Game(s).
Step 1.b. Instructions installing the game from disc (For retail Store Games)
(Taken from steam, only for first time installation):
1. Close Steam (Steam > Exit).
2. Press Windows Key + R to open Run
3. In the Run window type:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -install E:

Replace E: with the CD/DVD drive you are installing from if is not correct.
Replace C:\Program Files\Steam if your Steam installation is not in the default location.
4. Press OK. Steam will launch and ask you to sign in if you do not have your password saved.
Your installation should continue from the disc.

Step 2.Make sure all files are completely installed & let Steam Update your Game(s)!
Note: CTF Toolbox Do not always works, and in my case it stopped HL2 EP2 from finishing installation.

Step 3.Start the game(s) once through steam. You can make 1 save just to be sure.
IMPORTANT. SHUT DOWN STEAM AFTER THIS OR YOU WILL CORRUPT YOUR GAME FILES!

Step 4.Go To "C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\" And copy all the *.GCF files to where
you want to have your steam Standalone games installed.
I used "c:\Games\Orange Box\Data" to copy my *.GCF files, since I'm doing the
The orange box.

Step 5.Now Download a program called GCFPrep (Version 1.5.1)

Step 6.Run GCFPrep, Select "c:\Games\Orange Box\Data"(Where you've just copied your CGF Files)
Select "c:\Games\Orange Box\" for content folder, I do this because it makes a bit sense having your data(CGF Files), in a sub directory.
Now Select the game you want to install, and let it do its job...

If you only want to install Half Life 2/Episode 1/Half Life source, then you need
not read any further! This worked for some of my Source Mods too!
If however you want to install Portal/Team Fortress 2/Episode 2. Then read on!

Step 7.Install these games the same(Step 1-6), but after that go to "C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\(Username)\
Here you will find a folder for each game you've just installed.
Open The folder for the game you want(If you've started them at least once online).
Like for Portal:
"C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\(Username)\portal\"
Now copy all the folders(Not the loose files) in this folder to the folder
GCFPrep made under "c:\Games\Orange Box\Portal\"
Overwrite everything!
PS Make sure to NOT override hl2.exe in the "c:\Games\Orange Box\Portal\" folder!

Step 8. Now go to "C:\Program Files\Steam\" and copy the file "ClientRegistry.blob"
to that same folder("c:\Games\Orange Box\Portal\"), overwriting it.

Step 9. Go to "c:\Games\Orange Box\Portal\" and Use the shortcut GCFPrep made.
AT NO TIME AFTER STEP 3 SHOULD YOUR STEAM BE A RUNNING!
If your portal runs without steam(Make sure your game's Menu is working), the your done with it.

Follow Steps 7-9 for Team Fortress 2/Episode 2

Step 10.(Optional) Backup this folder by using Winrar/WinZip/ Or just by copying the files to another Hard Drive/External hardware.

I Have used this on all my games, except Team Fortress 2 witch I'm still updating, and all the games fork for me!

For Non Steam games (Games installed in "C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\"
like Aliens Vs. Predator(2010)/Fallout New Vegas...etc.
All you have to do is
1. Install(Step 1),
2. Update(Step 2).
3. Get a Crack somewhere on the web, and copy the whole game folder to another directory.
Like this for Aliens Vs Predator(2010):
Go to "C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\" Copy the aliens vs. predator directory to C:\Games\"
Apply your Crack you've just obtained from your fave site(Wink, Wink!) to where you've just copied your Game
(PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS TO YOUR ORIGINAL GAME FILES OR YOU WILL GET BANNED FROM STEAM!)
Now just create a shortcut for the executable(I used "AvP_Launcher.exe"), on you Desktop(Wherever you want).
And that's it.
I Hope this help!

Reactions:Searcher64
Hmmm . . . What if I don't have the retail game CD? I want to make some of my steam games standalone so I can turn them into portable apps but the Valve registry ties it too the app id so im unable to make them standalone. Any Ideas?