My Chat With Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, after about a 40 minute phone call with someone from Valve (will remain unnamed) there will be a few slight changes around here.

1) We will be allowed to continue to run the site without disruption.
1a) We will be required to remove the forum skin (It will most likely go private) and also change our homepage (I have an idea for a new one already).
--- These changes are occurring because it is copyright infringement and I could easily be prosecuted for it. I still wanted to make some changes anyways, we need our own unique look.
2) We will continue to run as is and will advanced our website/services as the site grows and expands.
3) New business ventures may be taken up into more legitimate services. Such as web hosting (again), management services, and graphic + web design. This will of course be supported by current members here at FS and will be paid positions based on work, etc.
--- Any new business ventures wont take place until I get my new computer which I am now fully funded for.

Some other fun details. As I have been told anyways...
- Valve thinks of us as their biggest pain in the ass, I thought that was pretty funny, and kind of an honor though. :)
- Most of their updates, exploits fixed, and errors in their code fixed as well have been thanks to us exploiting them. :) Which, I guess we are supporting Valve in our own way.
- We have been monitored since day 1 and of course have had our stuff leaked by members and that is something that cannot truly be avoided. I see that as a bit of a disappointment, but either way we will continue to try and provide things to our private members who have donated, or earned their access, etc. Of course we will continue to monitor for any leaking, etc.
- Valve actually cares about what goes on with this forum and keeps up to date on posts, happenings around here, and other content on the site, which again I thought was a bit of an honor. :)
- Valve knows a lot more than a lot of think... Please keep that in mind. Also, not everyone is as friendly as you think... A lot of people have been given up. ;)

Anything else I can't really give out more details other than what I have already provided. However, I must say Valve is not a bad company, at least, who I spoke to was a really cool person and I will keep in contact with him and hope to continue a good relationship.

Big shout out to Valve and everyone there who works so hard so we do too!

I must say, it is amazing that a site offering free Steam can be on such "good" terms with the company selling the product. I find that funny. It was a very interesting read and I look forward to the changes. Keep up the good work, FS.

That's pretty interesting, I knew when I made the copy of their forum skin they would have said something. We do need a new theme though and a real frontpage or someone with web design skill and time.

I am also proud they are reading about my code obfuscator and randomizer :-D.

EDIT: Guess I can't publicly release that source code =-O.

I hacked into valve's "wanted" list before, FS is the first one on the list, next to cs.rin.ru. Suprisingly, pacst34m is on the bottom of the wanted list. I WONDER WHY?
So is the FS project gonna continue or not?

I hacked into valve's "wanted" list before, FS is the first one on the list, next to cs.rin.ru. Suprisingly, pacst34m is on the bottom of the wanted list. I WONDER WHY?
So is the FS project gonna continue or not?

...and do you have a screen shot of this "wanted" list?

Pic or it never happenend.. But yea as I'm on the way to the beach on my iPhone, I'm beginning to wonder why we are on the top surely there are other teams making stuff too. Maybe we are the only ones left? :-D

Long live FS!

lol doubt it. Notice how all the new posters who are uber hackers never seem to show the goods? lol

So does this mean that the FS cafe client aint gonna get fucked over again?

I'm not a uber leet noob and what do u mean i never show the good? :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Besides, i did this a while back, with Damon, we both see it. I didn't bother take a screenshot, but i think he have one, lemee ask him later.

WW3, did he tell anything about the cafe project ? and how things are going on there ? with certificates for example ?:D just curious

It better be...
Or i'll shove a huge metal 10 feet elephant dild0 up someone's ass, possibly gabe's

Interesting... Well in the event a skin change, WWIII, just post me the colour scene you're thinking of and I'll make a new banner around that :D

Where's ure commen sense, this is not cool and not a good thing!

i fail to see how this is a bad thing...

So we have to change the skin a bit... big fuckin deal. Nobody is getting in major shit and well we seem to be pissing them off... which aint a bad thing :p

holy shit.
They are watching us.
They have been for a long long time.
i fail to see how this is a bad thing...

So we have to change the skin a bit... big fuckin deal. Nobody is getting in major shit and well we seem to be pissing them off... which aint a bad thing :p
We are already looking into estimates on a new re-designed homepage + forum. We could use a nice change, we've had this skin for quite some time. and I would rather not use the Steam homepage personally, it was just easy 2 get.

After this we will basically have an 'agreement' with Valve to continue to run our site as is. And I will of course keep in touch with my contact and have nice thing going here.

The homepage needs to be changed because it is not suitable.

It's time to stay away from copying everything identical to them.

Of course they're watching us forums are public to the world...

It's just like cops using forums to know were defected cars are going to meet..

They make money out of this when people want to play on real servers, they have to buy the real game. So in a sense, it is a very good marketing technique.

lol not really. The ones who are actually going to buy it usualy get the cafe subsciptions here :p

True, but Valve has also made their system more secure based on a lot of what we have released and done. Essentially "perfecting" their distribution system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back