Changing Startup Music on Source Games

Lordkil

FS Member
Alright, this is how you can change the startup music for any source game, or insert music if the game has none by default. Startup music is the song that plays when the main menu for a game loads.

1. Select any MPEG(.mp3) that you want.

2. Rename the .mp3 gamestartup1

3. Go to your computer/c:/program files/steam/steamapps/YOURACCOUNTNAME folder.

4. Choose whatever game you wish to modify the startup sound of (ex. hl2, synergy etc)

5. Double click on the game's folder. If you see another similarily named folder (ex. synergy/synergy) go in there. If not, proceed to step 6.

6. Look for a folder titled sound . If it is not there, create it.

7. Inside of the sound folder, look for another folder titled UI . If it is not there, create it.

8. Place the chosen, renamed .mp3 into the UI folder.

9. Start up the game. If done correctly, your song should begin playing.

Sorry No pics.:mad:

Leave feedback please.:)

Wow. Could be kind of usefull.
So I could make an empty .mp3 file and replace it and then I would hadn't a startup sound?

Obvious, but useful.
To get custom background maps:
1.Find or Make a background map (YOU CANNOT USE ANY MAP YOU WANT, YOU MUST USE A VALID BACKGROUND MAP)
Follow this guide on how to make one: Menu Background Map - Valve Developer Community
2.name the map background1.bsp; background2.bsp etc...
3. place it in the maps folder
4. see if it worked :)

To test a background map, launch the game without loading the map directly. After the engine, bring up the developer console and type:

map_background <mapname>

Thanks SOOOO much, i was meaning to look this up but i never got around to it, one of the mods i installed for garrys mod added an unwanted startup sound and now i can remove it :D thx

Back