[Development/Idea] Alternative Steam client for Freesteam

igorlira

Hello, i'm developing an alternative Steam client that you can download GCFs and play, like original Steam, but free, the GCFs are downloaded from a specific site, here are some screenshots:

print1xz.png

print2i.png

Any suggestion? Please post. ;)

i actually thought of something like this before-

set up kindof like real steam but when you go to a game instead of going to the purchase page or whatever it will show you the download links or let you download the gcfs/ncfs/content files right away

maybe have a launcher built-in too

Are you requiring the user to log in to steam with username and pass? If so i think i will pass

I'm actually about to start to make a proper client-server-database with java and it will probably take at least a few months just to build a solid framework for it.

As for the thread, you have to be really creative and plan out the ideas on what and what not to put in your application.

@psuchris
Yes, this is the idea, you can download the GCF files for the game you want, and play normally...

@wad92
No, the login is exclusive to this project, no login from real Steam.

@KZON3
Currently, i'm planning to don't use a specific server, use just a website with the php server files and the server database, and the client connect to the site and download the response string, for example:

client sends:
http://www.site.com/register.php?user=username&pass=password&why=whyareyouusingfreesteam

server reply:
ok|Message from server
or:
error|Error string

Probably, in newers versions, the server will send RC4 encrypted data...

Edit:
Here is a prototype to the main window:
print3.png

Edit2:
The project will need some people in staff, to verify uploaded gcfs, etc...

Edit3:
mainna.png