How do you force install from a CD ?

Arcaian

FS Member
Hey ! I have a CD that I borrowed from a friend, and I want to install the stuff from the CD, as you can't download most of the stuff. I know the "official" way to do it, as told by steam, which is to go run and type "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -E ( or whatever your CD drive is ). I presumed for SteamUP you would replace the steam.exe with steamUP.exe , but when I tried this, it didn't work. I have a lot of steam games I would like to install , so please help !

Wow. That is my question. If I just go into steam and try to install, the download automatically starts, so I am asking how to install from a cd without starting the download, as with HL2 : EP1 and EP2 you cant download them so the install fails.

so you own a cd that contains these games? if so is your steam cracked? if so then remove the crack install then reinstall the crack. or if you dont own the game ("borrowing from a friend") disc and wish to install it, apply a crack to steam (if you havent already) then install the game.. as far as i know that should work.. ive tested it with my copy of orange box on my blank acc after i already registered it to my main acc. it shouldnt ask for the cd key or anything just insert the disk, have a cracked steam open, and open the program on the disc (i.e. steam.exe or whatever the installer is named for that disc) and ask it to reinstall the selected game(s)
although i could be wrong.. thats just what i did :p

so you own a cd that contains these games? if so is your steam cracked? if so then remove the crack install then reinstall the crack. or if you dont own the game ("borrowing from a friend") disc and wish to install it, apply a crack to steam (if you havent already) then install the game.. as far as i know that should work.. ive tested it with my copy of orange box on my blank acc after i already registered it to my main acc. it shouldnt ask for the cd key or anything just insert the disk, have a cracked steam open, and open the program on the disc (i.e. steam.exe or whatever the installer is named for that disc) and ask it to reinstall the selected game(s)
although i could be wrong.. thats just what i did :p

Thats my problem . I "borrowed it from a friend", and I have a hacked version of steam, but when I click on the re-install button, it doesn't try installing from a disk, it just starts downloading it. I can't find out how to get it to install from a disk, so I don't know. The same CD installed from disk on my other computer, so I don't know why this computer doesn't like it.

well thats what the cd's are for.... after you use the disk once its a direct download, after the download reaches 100% it should update and then be installed and playable on your computer. or you could take the easy route and just find the game on here, download the 10-50 or whatever amount of files, extract them to the steamapps folder, find the up-to-date gcf/ncf files and enjoy(easier than it sounds really).

Yeah, but I have SteamUP and Half Life 2 EP1 and EP2 are undownloadable on steamUP. And I know for a fact that those games are available via direct install from the CD. I don't really care about HL2 : EP1 + 2, just in future I was wondering how to directly install it from the CD.

Back